Gitlab 5.1 – Adventures in upgrading from 5.0

I planned to upgrade later in the week hoping for a simple upgrade. But, I found myself upgrading despite my plans.

Of course, it had some issues. Here’s how I fixed them.

Problem 1:

Puma 2.0.0.b7 starting…
* Min threads: 0, max threads: 16
* Environment: production
* Listening on unix:///home/git/gitlab/tmp/sockets/gitlab.socket
/home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/binder.rb:234:in `initialize’: Address already in use – /home/git/gitlab/tmp/sockets/gitlab.socket (Errno::EADDRINUSE)
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/binder.rb:234:in `new’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/binder.rb:234:in `add_unix_listener’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/binder.rb:96:in `block in parse’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/binder.rb:64:in `each’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/binder.rb:64:in `parse’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/cli.rb:414:in `run_single’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/lib/puma/cli.rb:402:in `run’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/gems/puma-2.0.0.b7/bin/puma:10:in `<top (required)>’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bin/puma:23:in `load’
from /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bin/puma:23:in `<main>’

Thanks to this post it is simply fixed with:

sudo rm /home/git/gitlab/tmp/sockets/gitlab.socket

Yet, it still wasn’t running, so I ran:

sudo -u git -H bundle exec rake gitlab:check RAILS_ENV=production

and this minor annoyance came back:

GitLab Shell version? … FAIL. Please update gitlab-shell to v1.3.0

So, to fix that I did this in the /home/git/gitlab-shell directory:

sudo -u git -H git fetch

sudo -u git -H git checkout v1.3.0

Then, back in /home/git/gitlab, I did this:

sudo -u git -H bundle exec rake gitlab:check RAILS_ENV=production

and all was fine.

But it wasn’t. I couldn’t get anything to show in the browser. I do use apache rather than the default nginx.

So, let’s fix it so puma is running on a tcp port.

Comment out the below line in /home/git/gitlab/config/puma.rb

bind “unix://#{application_path}/tmp/sockets/gitlab.socket”

In your apache config, change the ProxyHost stanzas to port 9292 instead of 3000

That should do it.

One though i had based on memory usage now with puma, is wait. I wish I had. Unless you need fixes found in the CHANGELOG.

Update: Memory usage claims with puma seem to be as promised.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: